Bartender Rogerio Vaz is a man of delightful contradictions: he's a Brazilian transplant in Tokyo who works at an off-the-beaten-path cocktail bar that specializes in … absinthe. Sure! We asked Vaz for a weekend drink using his favorite spirit. (Absinthe hasn't always been a thing in Japan, but Vaz is on a mission to change that.) The resulting libation—Madame Masako, named after a fabled vintage-shop owner in the neighborhood—is both refreshing and more than a little likely to make your fingertips go tingly after your second round. Careful, there!
- ⅔ oz. Nikka Hirosaki Apple Brandy
- 1 oz. Hoshiko Plum Liqueur
- 1 oz. blueberry jam
- ½ oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Butterfly Absinthe
- 4 dashes aromatic bitters
- Rim a cocktail glass with absinthe and white powdered sugar.
- Mix all ingredients in a shaker with ice, fine strain into glass.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry.